Monday, September 04, 2006
On this day:

Kenny

Bryan and I went to the movies on Saturday night, our first such outing since we arrived in Melbourne. We went to the Hoyts Cinemas at Chadstone, just a short drive from our house. I think the complex is quite new, and that is clearly reflected in its movie theatre. When we lined up for our tickets there was a very efficient system to direct people to the next available counter. I was quite impressed with that and the long line that I grumbled about initially moved very quickly indeed. When we got to our ticket counter, we were told that our seats would be located on the aisle in the middle block of seats, and would that be ok? We were surprised about the assigned seating and thought that it might help to keep things orderly in the movie theatre, but as it happens it didn’t matter. The theatre was only about a quarter full and everyone was seated in one cluster at the back of the middle block. Some people had problems locating their aisle and seat because the numbers were hidden on the side of the arm rests. Speaking of arm rests, you could lift them up and potentially have a cuddle and/or catapult your drink from the drink holder towards the person sitting behind you. The seats were nice and comfy with high backs too. I didn’t even notice that there was very much advertising on before the movie. Overall it was quite serene compared to some of the in-your-face flashy and noisy pre-movie material shown in North America main-stream theatres.

Anyway, what about the movie? We saw Kenny, an Australian made mockumentary about a middle aged guy with a lisp, who works for a company that delivers and installs portable toilets for events and festivals. This movie is seriously good, and hilarious. Its right up there with The Castle as far as its portrayal of Australian humour and values is concerned. Not to mention its quoteability. I also liked that it was filmed in Melbourne and the fact that I already know Melbourne well enough to identify parts of it from the movie. See it, see it, see it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home