Monday, April 03, 2006
On this day:

Don't push the sleep button

A few nights ago I had just set the alarm on my clock radio before bedtime, and was tucking myself into bed. I was really comfy, the lights were off and I could just feel myself starting to drift off to sleep. Then Bryan asked me if I had set the alarm. I had set the alarm, but the obsessive compulsive in me had to check that I'd set it to the right time, and remembered to actually turn the alarm on. There have been incidents in the past where I've set the alarm for PM rather than AM, which was a huge problem when my boss was due to pick me up for work at 5:50 AM one day. So, in the dark, I reached across to press what I thought was the alarm button to check the time it was set for. Only I didn't press the alarm button, I accidentally pressed the sleep button.

Music started playing! And it wouldn't stop! I was fully awake again and my cosy trip to dreamland had been delayed indefinitely. The music wouldn't turn off no matter what button I pressed. In the end I had to unplug the clock radio, which led to the discovery of a spider living behind my bedside table. When I had plugged the clock radio back in, I had to reset the clock and reset the alarm. I turned to Bryan (who was laughing!!!!) and assured him that the alarm had been set.

This is not the first time I've accidentally hit the sleep button on the clock radio and had to go through the torture of the music that won't stop. And it leads to the question, why is it called a sleep button, when it could more accurately be referred to as a torture button? Well I just found my answer on the ever-helpful Wikipedia. Apparently the sleep button is for people who like to fall asleep listening to the radio, and it turns off after an hour. I just wish there was a get-out clause where you could turn the radio off early, without having to unplug it and reset the time.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:36 pm, April 03, 2006, Blogger Erwin said...

I believe that if you hold the sleep button down and then press the minute button, it'll subtract one minute from the hour per press.

I'm going on memory here as I haven't owned a digital alarm clock in many years.

 
At 1:42 pm, April 03, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

Erwin! That is life-changing information you just gave me. I am going to try that right now!!

 
At 2:00 pm, April 03, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

Nope! Doesn't work, and now I'm stuck with the music for an hour!!!

 
At 9:54 pm, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah, Sam here. I too have had this happen, but surely there is a way to turn the music off besides ripping the cord out of the wall?? Let me know when you find the answer, it drives me insane when I press it by mistake. Secondly, if I were going to listen to music when I go to sleep, I would want it softer than the music I need to wake up......

 
At 11:18 pm, April 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

On my clock radio if I press the sleep button again it turns off. Have you tried that?

KD

 
At 1:08 am, April 04, 2006, Blogger Sarah said...

Sam, I'm going to try and find the manual and figure it out. I'll let you know. I have a feeling I have a rather unsophisticated model of clock radio, that maybe doesn't have the ability to unpress the sleep button
KD, yes I absolutely did try pressing it again. I pressed EVERYTHING!!!!

 
At 1:05 pm, September 25, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O.k. folks, I just did that very thing, and I finally found the answer! Push the snooze button once, and the sleep button will turn off! (mercifully)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home