Celebrating Vancouver's diversity
Bryan and I took in a little of the Pride week celebrations yesterday and watched the Pride Parade. I've watched the Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras several times, but never the Vancouver Pride Parade. The major difference is that the Sydney Mardi Gras takes place at night, while the Vancouver Parade is on at lunch time.
Rather than stand on the street to watch we decided to go to Tanpopo sushi restaurant on Denman St, which overlooked the parade. Not only did we get a great vantage point next to the window of the restaurant, but we got all-you-can-eat Japanese food for $12.95 each.
I love things like this - people from all backgrounds out and about, being celebrated rather than tolerated, for who they are.
Oh I just realised the other difference between the Vancouver and Sydney parades. I did not see any instance of someone trying to interrup the parade or condemning the lifestyles of those who participated. In Sydney, the ever-homophobic Fred Nile and his cronies would have been out in force trying to put a dampener on things. All I saw in Vancouver yesterday was celebration. See the photos here.
Labels: Left of Centre, My small existence, Patriotic





6 Comments:
Great pics! I particularly like the little airplanes. I don't know why. And of course, Dubya, "The homophobic-war criminal".
The Air Canada planes were my favourite as well.
I liked the airplanes too. I also liked that big, pink bug-looking thing. I've never seen one of those parades. I bet they're great to watch.
Yeah, I bet they are! I'm kind of jealous.
Fred makes a pretty good float ! Is there a Canadian equivalent?
Canadians might know better than me, but I can't think of any Fred Nile equivalents over here. There's the usual cohort of religious conservative politicians, but on the whole its really rather peaceful.
Post a Comment
<< Home