Tuesday, July 19, 2005
On this day:

Welcome summer...at last

Its finally arrived! Summer that is. Hooray!!! What a disappointing start to the season it was in Vancouver, with the least hours of sunshine on record for the month of June, and a dreary, wet start to July. But on Saturday the rain stopped, the clouds disappeared and the sun shone right throughout the weekend (not at night though. Obviously) and is still shining now as I write this.

I was thinking to myself last week that I hadn't had any sunburn this summer. And then yesterday, before we headed out the door for a walk on the beach, Bryan said to me "Don't you want to put on any sunscreen Sarah?". Despite all my sun-smart training growing up in Australia, I simply couldn't be bothered with sunscreen yesterday. I was too eager to get outside and enjoy the day.

It was warm! Oh, how it was warm. And I danced my little sundance to show my appreciation.

When we got home I rushed to the mirror to inspect my skin, and noticed a hint of pink on my shoulders. I wasn't too fussed about that. Bryan and I spent the afternoon spring-cleaning the house, washing windows, pulling up weeds, and watering plants. How domesticated we have become! I happened to be passing by the mirror again and noticed that the colour had continued to emerge on my shoulders, which were now a lovely shade of fuschia.

Bryan looked at my shoulders and said nothing. He just smiled, with a silent "I told you so". Later he said his tongue hurt from biting it!

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 5:53 am, July 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the worst sunburn OF MY LIFE (and that's saying something, given all the summers I spent at the cottage as a kid) on Sunday at the folk festival, Sarah, so I empathize. It's almost like I needed to prove to myself that even though I'm now in the upper range of my mid-twenties, I'm still capable of doing stupid, irresponsible things.

 
At 6:24 am, July 19, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

Bryan has pointed out that it was probably like we were daring the sun to come out and burn us, given its poor showing up until this weekend.

I hope the burn isn't too bad though Rhonda. In 1999 in Aus, I had a sunburn on my arms, back and chest that left me with blisters, after only an hour in the sun! That one was sore for weeks!

 
At 10:10 am, July 22, 2005, Blogger carolynbee said...

Some of the worst sunburns I ever got were in New England. It can be very deceptive, the amount of sun you can actually get when you think you aren't getting that much. In Az, I'm always conscious of the sun, but I tend to forget when it's not that hot outside. Hope the burns heal fast!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home