Look out, she's going on a rant
I have something to say.
I've been meaning to say it for some time now.
Here it is.
"Irregardless" IS NOT A WORD!!!!!
Stop saying it!
Try "irrespective" or "regardless"
BUT DON'T COMBINE THEM INTO ONE WORD BECAUSE ITS WRONG AND I WILL KICK YOU IN THE KNEES!!!
*ahem*
Oh, apparently Wikipedia has this whole argument covered already. And there I was thinking I was alone in this peeve. Still, I wanted to get it off my chest.
Irregardless Trivia, as seen on Wiki:
In a second season episode of American Dad, Steve Smith and Roger the alien make fun of Stan Smith when he uses the term. Steve remarks "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'irr-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!"
Labels: Rant





3 Comments:
Hear hear... It's right up there with people who say "it begs the question", when what they mean to say is "it leads one to ask the question". People need to stop using phrases they don't understand and words that don't exist!
On the other hand, I heard a word this evening that I thought was made up. It turns out my vocabulary needed to be expanded...
Since I wrote this post, I have begun to notice that many people who use the non-word "irregardless" do it deliberately to be ironic or annoying. There are websites called irregardless (irregardless.com, irregardless.net, irregardless.org etc).
I love this: "Hopefully, you will use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them."
Although, from the context of the page I found it in (grammatical guidelines), I don't think it is meant to be ironic.
I am constantly irked (is that a word?) by HKU students who use the non-word 'researches', as in "many researches have shown that....'. I am sick of writing "Researches is not a word--tell your friends" on essays and theses. I even wrote "grrrr" next to it on the last occasion I came across it, which, on reflection, was perhaps slightly unwarranted and harsh. It is just one of many misuses of our lovely language that I come across on a daily basis here in HK.
Post a Comment
<< Home