The art of a good sandwich
I know I should eat a sandwich for lunch each day. I just get so bored of the standard fillings you buy in the supermarket. Ham and cheese, tuna, peanut butter, vegemite, etc. Bleurghh.
But when I buy lunch at work, often it will be a sandwich. What's with that? Well, in the yuppy-trendy area where I work, cafe sandwiches tend to be quite far more delicious than anything most people would make themselves, with delicious fillings that I can't possibly be expected to have in my fridge at any given time. Or can I?
A few Sundays ago we had tandoori chicken for dinner, and I had the idea to make way too much tandoori chicken. Then, while I was making the other stuff for dinner I popped some red capsicum/pepper in the oven to roast, enough to last for the week. So here's what my delicious and healthy sandwich was like on Monday, and every day that week (which took no longer than 5 minutes to prepare, by the way): whole grain bread, slices of the tandoori chicken thigh, roasted red capsicum, rocket, a smidge of minced coriander/cilantro, and a drizzle of natural yogurt for the finishing touch. Then I toasted my sandwich just before eating, and boy were my lunch-mates jealous! In fact I was so excited about my sandwich, I had to call my sister in Sydney to tell her about it. Unfortunately she was busy trying to remove a mouse from her kitchen at the time, so she wasn't as excited as I'd hoped. But that's another story.
Anyway, I was so pleased with how this sandwich making went, that I decided to try something equally delicious the following week. On Sunday night, while preparing dinner, I roasted some pumpkin/squash and some more red capsicum (I really like red capsicum, ok). Then on my sandwich the next morning, I used whole grain bread, slices of roasted pumpkin and capsicum, a few pieces of fetta cheese, toasted pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, and a drizzle of natural yogurt. Again I toasted the sandwich before eating, and again my lunchmates were insanely jealous.
Now, how am I going to top that this week?
Labels: Delicious, My small existence





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home