Wednesday, September 10, 2008
On this day:

Things we don't get back in Australia

I found this in my hotel bathroom:


It features a heated seat, and various kinds of spraying facilities, including some kind of oscillating option. I haven't tried them to be honest. Right now I'm content enough to giggle at the pictures.

I have also been into a few public toilets while walking around Nagasaki today, and I don't mind saying they are a darn sight nicer than your average public loo in Australia. Not all public loos come with sprays, but they do all come with a speaker, that says something (in Japanese) to you the moment you sit down, followed by a recording of a toilet flushing sound. This is not an optional extra. It seems that even if you are not embarrassed enough by the tinkling sounds made in a toilet, nobody else wants to hear you do it.

Changing the subject for a moment, look what I got out of the vending machine this morning:

It's a can by the way. But it has a screw top lid. All the advantages of a can, with the convenience of being able to save some for later (although the can couldn't have been bigger than 200 ml)

Also, later in the day I got this, totally sucked in by its clever slogan:

I must say, I do like the vending machine culture around here. You can get coke, water, beer, cigarettes, iced-tea, iced-coffee, fermented bean juice, underwear, whatever you want. About every 50 metres. Actually, I didn't see an underwear vending machine in Nagasaki, but I've heard about them in Tokyo.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:22 pm, September 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go on, try the squirter. You won't regret it. Toily paper seems so neanderthal in comparison.

 
At 9:35 pm, September 10, 2008, Blogger Sarah said...

The thing is that I'm that I WILL regret it, Jo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home