Start of the week
I walked 7 km to UBC this morning, struggling to stay upright on the black ice. The temperature dropped from about 8 degrees yesterday to freezing today, and so there was a dusting of frost over roofs and windscreens this morning. I'm sure the crocuses were regretting their decision to come out for spring. I walked to work today because I have lost 'my' bus pass, and I am too stingy to pay $2.25 for 15 minutes of standing up on a running late, overcrowded bus.
Why am I feeling stingy with my money? Well obviously I am a postdoc, and therefore don't have any money. But mainly because all of my life's biggest bills have fallen upon me in the last week or two. I had to pay up $975 for immigration fees last week, and pay $170 for an Australian criminal record check, which meant getting a $30 set of fingerprints done. These fees come on top of $550 to apply for permanent residence in Canada, $140 to have a medical checkup, $25 to have a notary take 10 seconds of his time to witness mine and Bryan's signatures, $30 for a previous set of fingerprints and Canadian criminal record check, and $40 in immigration photographs. If they turn me down for permanent residence, I'll...I'll....well I won't have any money anyway.
The Australian Consulate in Vancouver instructed me to apply for my Australian Criminal Record check through the NSW police service. This morning NSW police services emailed me to tell me they no longer provide criminal record checks for Australians residing overseas, and I should apply through the Australian Federal Police. They did not offer to return my $170 or my fingerprints. So it looks like I have to pay another $30 for fingerprints and another $170 for the criminal record check (although I'm going to argue very hard for the return of my previous funds).
Anyway, I have to leave now to walk home. It may be a blessing not having a bus pass though (I'm looking really hard for a silver lining right now). I'll magically lose 15 pounds within a week, and have body of svelte athlete.
Also, our new puppy should be born today. I am excited imagining how small and cute she must be. Mum and Dad should get her just in time for when I go over to Aus for Jo's wedding.
Update: February 8
Oh this is too much! I have spent the last day and a half frantically running around trying to get my money order (a) cancelled, (b) retrieved form NSW Police, and (c) paid back into my bank account.
I got another email from the NSW Police today that said, that my application for Police Clearance had been received, processed and the certificate was in the mail. I realise now that there is no point at all in getting stressed about these things, because it often turns out to be the least of your priorities for things to be stressing about.





0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home