Saturday, April 23, 2005
On this day:

Reinforcement of a stereotype

I wanted to write this yesterday, but Blogger was down for like... ages.

So I was walking to work yesterday, and as I got close to campus, a Vancouver Emergency Services vehicle pulled up towards me, and the guy in the car beckoned me over. I was wondering what he could have been about to tell me.

"Is there a Tim Hortons around here?"

I said no, the nearest Tim Hortons is at Broadway and Oak.

"Oh........weeeeeeeeeeellllllll is there anywhere I can get some donuts on campus?"

I thought for a while and realised that I really don't eat many donuts and had no recollection of them being available on campus, except when the Krispy Kreme girls bring them every so often to sell outside the bookstore. So I told to Emergency services dude I didn't know where the closest place to get donuts was.

"So do I have to go all the way to Safeway then?"

I said yes, probably Safeway was the closest donut outlet.

The Emergency services dude drove away, and I was left to wonder what kind of emergency required donuts. But it reaffirmed the classic stereotype of certain emergency service/law enforcements doing little else but eating donuts all day.

On a different note, someone was handing out chocolate coated espresso beans today. Tempting though it was, I declined the kind offer and remained 5 days caffeine free.

1 Comments:

At 8:11 am, April 23, 2005, Blogger zannebee said...

It was a DONUT EMERGENCY!!! That is the most urgent emergency there is!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home