Saturday, June 04, 2005
On this day:

End of a short week

TGIF! Seriously. I know I've just been away for 2 weeks and only had a 3 day working week this week, but I am so keen for a sleep in tomorrow morning. I didn't really have any jetlag but I haven't really had a quality 8+ hour sleep since I got back, so its taking me a long time to get back in to the swing of Vancouver. Like this morning, it took me 45 minutes to get out of bed after the alarm went off.

While I was pretending to do work at work today, I set about organising photos of my sister's wedding, and putting them on my website. You can see them here. Thanks to everyone who contributed photos.

I haven't written much about the wedding yet. It was beautiful, the weather was great, the location was great, everyone had fun, and there were even some bloopers. One memorable slip of the tongue was when, in his vows, Simon was meant to say "In times of hardship", and instead he said "In times of hardness". I stifled a laugh at this, and I don't think anyone else let on that they'd noticed. But after the ceremony, everyone was laughing about it, to the point where it became the subject of an after-dinner speech. Bloopers aside, it was a fabulous day.

Today I've been thinking about my career path, and am not really sure if my PhD is going to take me to the job that I want. I'm thinking about going back to school and doing a Masters in public health and epidemiology. I'm not sure where or when yet though.

10 Comments:

At 7:47 pm, June 04, 2005, Blogger Erwin said...

Cool pics! Everyone looked lovely.

 
At 8:16 pm, June 04, 2005, Blogger carolynbee said...

Your sis picked out some very nice bridesmaid dresses! Good for her! And you looked fantastic in yours.

 
At 8:11 am, June 05, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

Bah! I had a disappointing nights sleep. I woke up at 1:37 am, and remained awake until about 3:20 am. Then when I was woken by my alarm at 9 am, and have been quite groggy since. Tonight maybe...

 
At 3:22 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger zannebee said...

Can you get a Master's after you already have a PhD???

 
At 4:02 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

I know it would seem like I was going backwards down the career path, but if I'm not happy with the path I'm on, then I have to change tack.
Its not the usual way to do PhD then Masters, but some people do it. Actually in my sister's field (psychology), they have to do their PhD research first, and then if they want to practice what they have learned from their research, they have to do a Masters to qualify. She's just finished her PhD and intends to do a Masters in a few years time.

 
At 5:56 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger zannebee said...

I was just wondering because I have a bachelor's degree and I would like to get a different bachelor's degree, but I was told that I can't... that I'd have to go ahead and get a Master's, that I couldn't do undergraduate work if I already have a Bachelor's. I guess it's different with graduate work.

My BFA has done absolutely nothing for me career wise.

 
At 6:00 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger zannebee said...

PS great pictures!!!

Is the Chinese Tea Ceremony a tradition before a Chinese wedding? Or did you just do it for fun?

The bridesmaid gowns were beautiful, you looked great! I did appreciate the intricacy of your hairdo :) Your sister's very pretty, but no prettier than you!!!

I hope she's very happy.

 
At 6:10 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

Zanne, that sounds ridonculous to me! I can't see any reason why you can't do a second bachelors degree. I don't think you're required to tell anyone that you have a first bachelor's degree anyway. That's how it is in Australia anyway. I've known a few people do multiple bachelors degrees in Aus.
But if you did have to do a Masters instead, I don't you necessarily have to do it in the same area as your Bachelor's degree.

 
At 6:14 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

The Chinese tea ceremony IS the wedding in Chinese culture. If I may speak on my sister's behalf for a moment (and hope I get the facts right), Simon's family wanted them to have the tea ceremony all along, rather than the traditional western white wedding. Jo put her foot down, insisting on staying with her own culture on this one, but in the end they decided to compromise with the in-laws and do both ceremonies.
I must say that I sm eternally grateful to my sister for not dressing up her bridesmaids in toffee-wrappers. She chose the dresses very well. I think everyone was beautiful on the day!

 
At 6:17 am, June 07, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

The only thing that wasn't beautiful about the day, is that the flautist played tacky music while we were walking down the aisle. Jo had asked for "The Wedding" from the Legends of the Fall soundtrack by James Horner. In the end she got James Horner/Celine Dion's "My heart will go on". Ick!
Jo would like me to remind anyone who was there, that she did not ask for Titanic music! It was all a tragic misunderstanding!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home