Wednesday, September 21, 2005
On this day:

Another hair era

I had long or longish hair for years growing up. Then I cut it off in April 2000, after a relationship breakup (as my Mum would sing, "you're gonna wash that man right out of your hair"). Then I had short hair for about 3 years. I loved it - it was liberating, and I had so much more time on my hands since I didn't have to spend hours blowdrying it. I experimented with various short hairstyles, and varying degrees of shortness. At one point my sister told me I'd gone too far and cut my hair too short. That was an era she referred to as the 'lesbian hair'. Actually I really liked it, so there!

Then I was a bridesmaid for my friend Lindsay, who lived on the other side of Australia to me at the time. I hope she doesn't mind me recounting this... As her wedding day approached she appeared to get a little nervous about me talking about cutting more hair off - its possible I was teasing her a little by talking about my "lesbian short hair" so much, because she was a typically stressed bride-to-be at the time. She rang me a few times from Perth to ask how long exactly my hair was, and would it be possible to style it for the wedding. I told her not to bother getting me a hair stylist on the day, because it would only take me a couple of minutes to do it myself. But then on the day of the wedding, I was a teeny bit envious of the bride and the other bridesmaids with their long locks entwined in lovely intricate styles. So it was at that point that I decided to start growing my hair a little, so that I would be able to style it all girly-like at the next wedding I attended.

It turns out my sister was the next to get married, about 4 months ago. I was a bridesmaid, and just as I planned it, my hair was long enough to put in a lovely intricate style. It was nice to have longer hair for a while, but I think it made me look too young and immature (i.e. 16), and I got sick of being ID'd... I'm Dr. Kidd, don't you know!. And my hair is thick and unruly - I spend about 20 minutes blowdrying it every morning, followed by 15 minutes with the flat-iron to get the kinks out.

So anyway, getting to the point of this long and indulgent post, I cut my hair off again on Saturday. Its fabulous! This morning I spent less than five minutes doing my hair. Nobody at work recognised me on Monday morning. I think this could also mean that Rhonda and I will no longer be mistaken for twins.

postscript: I'd just like to stress (for my Mum's benefit) that my recent haircut should in no way be construed as an indicator of the state of my very happy relationship with Bryan.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 5:31 am, September 23, 2005, Blogger Erwin said...

I demand pictures!

 
At 3:28 pm, September 23, 2005, Blogger Sarah said...

Actually I don't have any digital photos from the lesbian hair era. It was the olden days, when film cameras were common.
You can come over and take a look at my photo album if you like.

 
At 3:40 pm, September 23, 2005, Blogger zannebee said...

You need a scanner!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home