Feeling like a 16 year old
I discovered a few weeks ago that I am not allowed to drive in BC using my Australian drivers license, because I have been here for (well over) 90 days. I have to get myself a BC license before I can get behind the wheel over here.
Now this hasn't really been a problem because I don't own a car, or really have access to one. Something that has been putting me off wanting to drive over here is the fact that they drive on the right-hand side and all driving manoeuvres are a mirror image from the way I was taught to drive 10 years ago in Perth, Western Australia. I did do a little driving over here last summer, when Andrew lent us his car for a few weeks. I got reasonably comfortable with driving on the wrong side of the road, but I didn't really have to do anything tricky like a 3 point turn or parallel park (Don't laugh North American's - these things require a lot of thought when you have to do them in the opposite way to that which you have been doing for 10 years).
My boss is pushing me to get my BC license, because she would like me to be able to use her car to collect environmental samples. So after looking into what was required for me to get a BC license, I was shocked to discover that Australia is not one of the countries that BC recognises the driver training of. Australians have to take a knowledge test (50 multiple choice questions about road rules, pass mark of 80 % required), and a road test. In the lag time between passing the knowledge test and the road test, Australians have to display L plates when driving and must have a BC licensed (minimum 4 years experience) passenger with them at all times. The only silver lining is that once an Australian has successfully completed the road test, they would not be required to undergo the new drivers graduated licensing program. Thank ye Gods for saving me that humiliation.
So anyway, yesterday I planned to take my knowledge test. There is an online practice test, which I found very useful in my preparation. I also did some quick revision of traffic light scenarios (Australians take note - traffic lights are completely different over here) and weird and wonderful road signs that meant nothing to me 2 years ago. I went to the ICBC drivers licensing office, handed over my $15, and told a complete stranger my height and weight. First, I was surprised that they put this kind of sensitive information on your license, but even more surprised that they don't actually measure your height or weight, they just write down whatever you tell them. I considered telling her that I was six feet tall and 110 pounds, much like a supermodel. But then I thought that everyone who saw my license in the future would be secretly thinking that I had let myself go since my supermodel days. So I told the truth. Damn them for asking. But I digress - back to the knowledge test; it was quite a bit harder than the test I completed in Perth more than 10 years ago. But I passed with 93 %.
I'm going to have some professional driving lessons before I take my road test because (a) I want to pass my road test on the first attempt or I will never recover from the shame; (b) there may be some quirky BC road rules that I don't know about; and (c) I have never been properly taught how to do a parallel park - they did not test people on this in Perth 10 years ago, and thus they saw no reason to teach it. Maybe that's why BC doesn't recognise Australia's driver training.
I'll keep you posted on my driving lessons. This is so humiliating!
Labels: Culture Shock, My small existence





1 Comments:
I tried a practice test. I got 17 out of 25 and I drove in BC all the time. He he he! I wonder if I was supposed to get a license there? I don't think so......
Post a Comment
<< Home