North Country
For the first time, I went to see a movie by myself last night. That was a big step in itself. I felt pretty strongly that I wanted to see this movie regardless of whether anyone was available to see it with me.
I'm not going to write a review, but...North Country, starring Charlize Theron and the legendary Frances McDormand, is the (inspired by a true) story of women working in a Minnesota mine, sexually harrassed, even attacked, by their male co-workers on a daily basis. Only one of these women is willing to speak out, despite attempts by people at every level of the company to step on her. She eventually pulls enough people together to file a class action lawsuit against the company, which sets a precendent for legislation of sexual equality in the workplace everywhere.What scares me is that this did not happen very long ago. The lawsuit was won only in 1998, 10 years after it was filed and 23 years after the abuse began. Right up until the end the mining company (Eveleth Mines, in real life) was fighting the lawsuit, labelling the women as either "nuts or sluts". This makes me angry, but that is the main objective of the movie. In the end I was left with great respect for what this woman achieved, although there is still a long way to go before gender equality is truly reached...
I think back to my undergraduate days working in a grocery store for an Italian family, propositioned frequently by the boss' son and married brother-in-law, and slightly ostracised for telling them to piss off, as the boss and the other girls pretended not to notice. I wonder why I stayed there for 3 years, and put it down to needing money to get through university and there being very few other casual jobs available, but also knowing that I was better than that. And when I try to understand why they picked on me, I think it was because I was a university student with a lot more than a career in a grocery store ahead of me.
Anyway, I'm heading out now to buy the book.
Labels: Left of Centre, Movies, Rant





4 Comments:
You have never gone to a movie by yourself before? I do that quite regularly, I like going to movies by myself. I never have to compromise on what I want to see. I don't mind it at all!
I wanted to see that movie when it came out, but then it got some bad reviews so I didn't. Maybe I will check it out now though since you gave it a thumbs up.
Yeah, I have been sexually harrased on the job in the past. However, the company I work at now is pretty good about not allowing that kind of thing to happen. We have meetings once a year to talk about sexual harrassment, and some of the stories that the older women tell are truly shocking! One woman worked at a casino when she was young, and guys would grope her on the job and she was expected to just put up with it. YUK!
Oh you should definitely see it, I know for a fact you'll love it (if you can love a movie about harassment). I think the bad reviews are centred around the fact that it was adapted from a true story, and adaptations always screw with the truth. I think the acting is spectacular, particularly Frances McDormand, and Charlize Theron continues to surprise me - I liked her in Monster also.
I just ordered the book on Amazon so I might be in a better position to comment on how closely the movie followed the story soon.
I have probably seen more movies alone than with other people.
Since you're sitting in the dark and no one can talk, it's really not that big of a deal.
I just put it in my Netflix queue... it's release date is Feb 21st.
Post a Comment
<< Home