Monday, April 24, 2006
On this day:

Not again!!!

Only 2 weeks since a similar incident, a couple of days ago I again came within a foot of being hit by a car. This time it was a big black SUV, the kind driven by a Kitsilano Soccer Mom, talking on her cell phone and in a rush to pick up her venti Starbucks coffee, drop the poodle off at the canine massage and acupuncture therapist, and get to her yoga class.
I was riding my bike slowly up the hill to UBC on 15th Ave, I came to an intersection with a 2-way stop. I had right of way so I plodded on through the intersection. I saw the SUV approaching the stop sign. It stopped at the stop sign. At this point I was in the intersection, going slowly because I was tired from the hill. The SUV started to move off from the stop sign towards me, while I was directly in front of it!! I was going way too slow and in the wrong gear to make a quick dash to safety. If I put my brakes on I would have just stopped in front of it. I had nowhere to go. She hit the brakes just in time, and again I escaped the clutches of possible broken bones, road rash and a twisted bike, or worse.
By the way I was very visible - there was plenty of daylight and I was wearing a bright green cycling jacket and other reflective stuff. I just don't get what the driver was thinking. Was she thinking? The point of stopping at a stop sign is to take note of cars, bikes, or pedestrians in or near the intersection that may be on a collision course with you, and AVOID hitting them!!! Maybe she thought she gave me plenty of time to get out of the way, but that would make her a very bad judge of distance and velocity, because there was no way cycling up a hill that I could clear the intersection in the time she allowed me. But I'm pretty sure this was a case of SUV mentality combined with lack of concentration on the road. People on the road simply weren't as important to her as her yoga class and venti coffee, and she had the never off-road SUV to prove it.
I've known for a long time that distracted drivers are just as bad as drunk drivers. Yet another study came out last week that confirmed my belief. Holding or dialling a cell phone, applying makeup, reading a map while you're in the driving seat...you may as well be drinking beer! But will anyone do anything about it? Change their habits? Pass a law? I strongly doubt it.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 12:17 pm, April 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look dear, if you are planning to move back to Australia, you are going to have to learn to say 'mum' instead of 'mom'. You will get deported you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home