Tuesday, June 12, 2007
On this day:

Little things (its what makes this blog tick)

I've had nothing big to post about for a while, just a few items to put on the news bulletin. So here they are.

This past weekend was the Queen's Birthday holiday weekend for most states in Australia (WA celebrates this event in October for some reason). Most people in Melbourne had Monday off work. But not me. Or Bryan. We work for Monash University, and they do not recognize many non-religious public holidays. This is to prevent disruption to classes - if half of the students taking a course have a lab or tutorial cancelled because it falls on a holiday then they are at a disadvantage to those students in the course who have their class later in the week. It makes sense, but it still sucks to have to work on a holiday. Its not all bad though, we get awarded 1 days off for every public holiday we work, which we can take over Christmas, giving us almost 2 weeks off at Christmas without taking any annual leave. But the whole system makes little difference to me, because I work on a campus that doesn't actually hold any classes, but we still have to follow the rules. At least Bryan and I are in the same situation- it would really suck if I had to go to work on a holiday, while Bryan stayed at home.

I just spent $100 on postage for wedding invitations, which is more than it cost us to make the invitations (not that you'd know it to look at them, they are clas-sy!). I am a little shocked at spending that much on stamps, but I should have expected it since 90% of the invites were going international.

I had a cold about 6 weeks ago, which was horrible for about 5 days but was bearable after that providing I didn't leave home without putting some tissues in my pocket. Well it hasn't really improved since that blowing-nose-every-5-minutes stage. I still can't go anywhere without tissues. But this morning I felt like it might be regressing back into the sore throat and slightly congested stage. Which sucks.

And while I'm whining about the state of my health, that fun run I did a few weeks back was a big mistake. I've got plantar fasciitis in my right foot and shin splints in my left leg. That means that walking any significant distance is off limits (it's lucky I like cycling).

My sister has been poised to give birth to her first baby for about the last 3 weeks and it still hasn't happened. The edge of my seat is getting worn out from me sitting on it all this time.

If I hear one more word about Paris Hilton and her freaking jail sentence, I may just hurt somebody. Just kidding, I'm loving it! The whole being sent home from jail because of a "life-threatening" skin rash, and then being sent right back kicking and screaming "Mom, its not right" was pure gold! Now she's a changed woman and wants to work for charities, bless her.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:59 pm, June 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel better, I had to work on the public holiday also :(

On a more positive note...that means I will be receiving my wedding invite soon...YAY!!!!
Sam

 
At 5:49 pm, June 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Latest update--am still pregnant. Get back on the comfy part of the seat--I'll let you know! Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

 
At 12:38 pm, June 30, 2007, Blogger zannebee said...

That "fun run" doesn't sound like it was much "fun".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home